REPORT: Prosecutors Are Likely To Present Deshaun Watson Case To Grand Jury In January

Deshaun Watson remains a member of the Houston Texans mainly in part because of the ongoing legal trouble that Watson is dealing with. The 25-year-old has been accused of sexual assault and harassment in 22 civil lawsuits.

Watson, who has been inactive for all of the Texans games this season, requested a trade this past offseason and while the Texans came close to dealing him, he remains on the team and if any trade does happen, it would come next offseason.

That is of course if Deshaun Watson isn’t charged with any crimes associated with the civil lawsuits and according to League Of Justice, attorney Tony Buzbee said local prosecutors have started meeting with some of the women to secure potential interview for the Grand Jury:

Buzbee, who represents all 22 women in the civil suits, said prosecutors have met with two women so far and asked whether they would be willing to answer questions from Grand Jurors if it is requested, League of Justice reports. Buzbee added that prosecutors are in the process of scheduling a meeting with four more of his clients.

“One of Watson’s accusers was allegedly told by prosecutors that they will be bringing the case to a Grand Jury in Houston ‘possibly in December but more likely in January,’” League of Justice Founder Amy Dash reports. “The prosecutors also reportedly told the woman that they are waiting on additional evidence from their investigators, according to Buzbee, which could account for the delay. The prosecutors met with one of Watson’s accusers last Friday and lawyers were not allowed in the room. “I think they are taking it to a Grand Jury. I don’t think there’s any question about that.”

Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, is not shocked by this development as he always assumed that a Grand Jury proceeding would be the case.

“I’ve always assumed that’s what would happen,” Hardin said, per League of Justice. “That’s what a grand jury investigation is about, so there’s nothing about that, that is surprising if it’s true. I don’t know anything personally about it. I welcome it. That’s what I’ve always assumed would happen.”

“So the way it stands now is they are getting their information together, they are talking to witnesses which is a normal process,” he told the outlet. “They decide what witnesses to call … I’ve always welcomed any third party listening to both sides. I’m perfectly happy with it. Obviously, We strongly believe he didn’t do anything wrong and we’ll continue to defend him to every extent humanly possible.”

A grand jury indictment means Watson would be headed to the NFL on the Commissioner’s Exempt List. Earlier this year, as many as ten women filed complaints with Houston Police Department about the quarterback. Eight of them are among the 22 women who have alleged in lawsuits that Watson sexually assaulted them or engaged in sexually inappropriate behavior during massage sessions.