An Army football player was among many people hospitalized in Florida after several West Point cadets overdosed on fentanyl-laced cocaine at an Airbnb party house, according to the US Military Academy.
It was originally reported that it was six players from the football team, but reports now suggests there was two players involved, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.A West Point official told the Associated Press on Friday two cadets involved were football players, and one was hospitalized. Fire officials said two patients were critically ill and on ventilators. The rest were in stable or good condition and at least one had been released from hospital.
Two victims collapsed and two others became ill while trying to give them CPR, from residue on their bodies.
“This incident serves as a stark reminder to all, especially those visiting for Spring Break, of the deadly impacts of Fentanyl,” police said.
West Point officials said they were investigating the incident Thursday, and did not identify the students.
Fentanyl was a factor in approximately 75,000 US drug overdoses during a 12-month period ending last April. Dealers peddling the synthetic drug have been increasingly arrested in connection with their customer’s deaths.